Friday, November 16, 2007

The Guest Blogger

This is Elena. I thought I would give Sarah a little blogging break. Jake, Aleks and I arrived in Kilimanjaro last night around 9p - a mere 22 hours after leaving our house on Crystal St in Chicago. We were greeted by a really long visa line, but luckily people took pity on us and moved us up to the front (I think the fact that the boys were in their pajamas helped). The trip was definitely long and exhausting, but I don't think the boys could've handled it any better.


Sarah, Nell and Pearl met us at the airport with an awesome welcome sign and the Happy People bus (interior black lights and all). A mere 30 minutes or so later, we got to their house - big, beautiful, open and very airy. After a quick tour, the girls took the boys to see all of the animals out back - 4 chickens (Grayland, Bon Voyage, Little Grey Girl, Odette) and 4 rabbits (Speckle, Pure, Scarlett, Snowy). Nell has quite a way with animals! At one point, she was walking around with one of the chickens on her head (not sure which one - still learning their names), and her way of introducing us to the animals was to pick each up to about chest-level, then drop it. In fact, Nell just now walked in to tell me and Sarah that she just threw Odette at Jake. I'm starting to understand how Snowy lost her tail a few weeks back....


We all went to bed around midnight. The beds have mosquito netting around them, which Jake says makes him feel safe. If only there was some cool contraption to keep the crickets out of the room. I'm not sure how many there were, but it was so loud! If I had had more energy (and a head lamp), I would have gone on a hunt. As I was tucking the boys in, I asked what they thought of Tanzania so far. Aleks said it didn't feel like Chicago, but it did feel like home. AWWHHHH!

No comments: