Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cookin Pancakes on a Kerosene Stove

Yep...for all you fish crockpot naysayers...yours truely cooked pancakes on a kerosene stove last night. We've been without power for a few days now...makes feeding the kids hard. Can't wait till we get the car on Sat. We live a bit out of town, I usually take taxis to town each day to do my business but to do it again at night is costly. So...creativity needs to prevail in these situations...one great advantage of no power is how early I can get the girls to sleep. They aren't real fond of taking showers in the dark so I hurry them during sunset...we read books by headlamp light under our mosquito nets...and fall asleep so early. This morning, breakfast was peanut butter on a piece of bread and a banana off a woman's head...hey that rhymes..would be a good rap verse.
The girls and I are going to Paul Oliver's safari camp this weekend..and to see a few other lodges...Sam and I are not really satisfied with the pricing and type of hotels available for our trips. I am determined to find something special. This camp is permanent tents right in the park...there are guards with guns to keep the animals at bay. Sounds exciting uh? We are seeing a few other places as well.
My friend Robby who was my guide on the mountain during both climbs is finally down from the mountain...he went up and back three times in a row!!! I found it very hard both times and can't imagine doing it three times in a row. This is not unusual for these guys..they are worked so hard and get paid so little. I found an organization in town called the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project...look it up. It is really amazing..collect clothes and mountain equipment for porters who generally don't have anything they need to survive. I use that word, survive, literally. Last week 5 porters died on the mountain from exposure. It has been cold here and also wet..they were not a part of the project obviously...so sad.
I have yet to address the poverty that exists here in an effort to show how wonderfully happy most people are with their existence. Like all of us they want more...but life is simple...the average yearly salary of a Tanzanian is less than a dollar a day. Hard to imagine really...but when you see the beauty and simplicity of this life...I don't really think most are missing something important. This will probably be an ongoing stream of thought....or theme that I will address. The first two times I was here I was always focusing on what was missing for these people...but now I think it is us who are missing this...calm, simplicity, fresh air, simple language, time with our families. In Swahili there are not too many words for negativity. There is no bad news in Tanzania...hmmm....staying positive...important. I'll address this more later when my thoughts are more fully formed...but I do know that the way i live and will continue to live is changed.
Before I came here, Scott, the ex, wanted to file a court order to basically insure that the kids would come back. He/we spent thousands of dollars doing something that could have been done over a civil cup of coffee....this is the type of thing I am refering to...why? That money could have bought an entire orphange. Seriously...provided for 200 children for an entire year...hmm...hope that will change. Hope my children will be able see past themselves after this experience. I certainly know they do already...they want to work at an orphange...Nell said she'd like to change diapers. Don't have the heart to tell her they don't even have diapers. We'll see...work in progress.
So Josh told me you all can leave comments here now...please feel free to so I don't feel like i am writing into an abyss.
Love to you All!!!
Sarah

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am delighted that there is now a comments section though I now find I have nothing really to say other than: good spelling lately! Also, I have made a vow to make you a cook and will begin sending you very simple recipes via email that will wow (and nourish) your children. xo

Anonymous said...

Oooh. The first blog I have ever followed, and now my first blog comment - I am amazed and in awe of the positive attitudes you're exhibiting and experiencing. I can't wait to hear more, and maybe even learn more, if only vicariously. Love, kimzim p.s. am not sure if this will work so here goes. . . am I an "other" or maybe anonymous? - what if I don't have a google acct? Or a web page? Should I use Hojo's Baked in Boulder web page?

Anonymous said...

I am so touched by your account of your experiences. Your thoughts today especially are seeds for a vicarious life inventory. Thank you for sharing regualrly. I check each day after I check my son's travel blog. Take care of yourself. Mary McCarty